Every day I am pretty sure I do at least one thing wrong. Most days I do more. I used to think I was alone, until I talked to other parents who were honest. Here is a place for more parents to feel less alone, and more "good enough".

Thursday 10 March 2011

Tonight, Give Yourself More Credit

Tonight, I have made a really yummy fish pie. Tonight, I have done laundry and folded clothes. Tonight, I have soothed a 2 hour tantrumming toddler who, to be fair, no longer knows which way is up. Tonight, I have had a discussion with a 7 year old about how you know which God to believe in and why there are so many to choose from and what if you choose the wrong one? Tonight, I have learned about the Chinese soldiers who thought they were immune to foreigners bullets and died, whilst their emperor stowed away in a wagon and left them to it. Tonight, I have learned the intricacies that surround a 7 year old's decision making processes, especially concerning what they think you want to hear. Tonight, I have written a letter to stop my 7 year old getting detention for not doing his homework, because he was too upset to do it for various reasons and "why do we have to get it every week anyway it's too much I'm too tired mummy to do work at school AND at home but I'm trying my best I really am" :( Tonight, I have looked up lots of ideas for outdoor play, to help him learn how to catch and kick so he doesn't get picked last for PE. Tonight, I have washed up the fish pie making pile. Tonight, I have done a budget and figured out how to afford all the outdoor toys. Tonight, I have packed lunches and book bags for tomorrow, and suitcases for daddy's house. Tonight, I have read a few friends problems with their families and children, and written replies to help them find solutions. Tonight, I have read the EYFS and tried to think of ideas for work. Tonight, I have made a difficult phone call and put my children first despite my own insecurities. Tonight, I have had a lot of coffee. Tomorrow, I could do with a break.

This post, is not negative. This post, is about how, when we really look at what we do, do you know what? We are bloody brilliant. I do a lot of things, every day, without even thinking about it. The list above is just since 5pm. I really should give myself more credit :D

No comments:

Post a Comment